Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX
聽Share

I don't like my employer stopping paper payslips and forcing me to sign up for email payslips instead!

Yes, I know it will save money and the planet 馃檮馃榾 but I like keeping a physical record in my filing cabinet.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I don't like my employer stopping paper payslips and forcing me to sign up for email payslips instead!

Yes, I know it will save money and the planet 馃檮馃榾 but I like keeping a physical record in my filing cabinet.

Is there no way you can opt out? I have bank and credit cards trying to go 'paperless' on me for years, and I refuse every time! Screw the darn planet, I like my paper...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It forces you to print them out at your expense not theirs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hate getting paper mail.聽 All the hassle of having to go and get it (rental fire doors can't have letter boxes cut), then open it, then either find the right file to store it or remove name & address for recycling.聽 Then dispose of the previous one so I don't get the years muddled in future.聽 Not to mention paper cuts! 馃槷

Much prefer emails.聽 I can immediately 'action' anything necessary from them, and 'search' within 30 seconds by keyword.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I hate getting paper mail.聽 All the hassle of having to go and get it (rental fire doors can't have letter boxes cut), then open it, then either find the right file to store it or remove name & address for recycling.聽 Then dispose of the previous one so I don't get the years muddled in future.聽 Not to mention paper cuts! 馃槷

Much prefer emails.聽 I can immediately 'action' anything necessary from them, and 'search' within 30 seconds by keyword.

You and I lead much different lives LOL My post gets put through my front door. I have an antique letter opener (one of the few things my dad left me), and it's a joy to properly open an envelope. I have a 4 x drawer office filing cabinet for easy filing, and a shredder to get rid of anything that needs shredding!

emails are not tactile, though obviously I use them. I do write letters too using a proper fountain pen, though I am much older than you... 馃榿

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You and I lead much different lives LOL My post gets put through my front door. I have an antique letter opener (one of the few things my dad left me), and it's a joy to properly open an envelope. I have a 4 x drawer office filing cabinet for easy filing, and a shredder to get rid of anything that needs shredding!

emails are not tactile, though obviously I use them. I do write letters too using a proper fountain pen, though I am much older than you... 馃榿

Boomers don't know how lucky they are - living in multi-roomed mansions with gardens and garages and letterboxes!聽 How the other half live!! :laugh:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Boomers don't know how lucky they are - living in multi-roomed mansions with gardens and garages and letterboxes!聽 How the other half live!! :laugh:

My dad's got a briefcase with all his important paper documents in. He writes letters to complain alot where as I email.聽 it's a generation( old age) thing . He is 90.

As for paperless payslips, mine have been paperless since 2017. Acessed via an employee app. Everything is on the app including holiday requests and authorisations, enquiries over my pay if I think they have underpaid me.聽 that normally happens in Feb pay slip every year ,but for some reason this year they got it right.聽

I do have a dedicated drawer I put any paperwork like insurance certs, council tax , water bill etc in and clear it out once a year when it doesn't close 馃ぃ馃ぃ

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Is there no way you can opt out?聽

Unfortunately not! 馃槨

It's not really as bad as I'm making out, I just don't like being told what to do! 馃榾

I do feel sorry for at least one of my colleagues who I'm certain doesn't have a computer or smart phone let alone and email address!聽

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turvey said:

Unfortunately not! 馃槨

It's not really as bad as I'm making out, I just don't like being told what to do! 馃榾

I do feel sorry for at least one of my colleagues who I'm certain doesn't have a computer or smart phone let alone and email address!聽

Has he learnt to walk upright yet ? 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, iantt said:

I do have a dedicated drawer I put any paperwork like insurance certs, council tax , water bill etc in and clear it out once a year when it doesn't close 馃ぃ馃ぃ

I thought it was just me that had that exact same system 馃槀

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, iantt said:

Has he learnt to walk upright yet ? 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Just about! 馃榾

• Haha 2

I've got no working printer now, with most things being paperless, and many friends are in the same position.

Ironically, the only time I've needed one lately is when helping a friend sort out the mess a so-called "financial adviser" had made of her savings/investments.

We found in several cases banks, etc, required a "wet" signature and expected you to complete a document online, and then print it off to sign and return. We ended up having to get a hard copy of the forms sent to the nearest branch that was still open, and doing it there.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I thought it was just me that had that exact same system 馃槀

I bet it's not as organised as mine. 馃ぃ馃ぃ

17106666159631297671516181533713.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dad was doing his finances on the back of an envelope when I visited last week . Surprising how many zeros you can get on an envelope!! So envelopes do come in handy. I keep my old envelopes聽 for shopping lists.聽

Oh, Stephen, you got a side line modeling by any chance? 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

17106670349666042927326730766879.jpg

22 minutes ago, iantt said:

So envelopes do come in handy. I keep my old envelopes聽 for shopping lists.聽

Me too.聽 Mine are piled on top of an empty notebook that I didn't want to spoil by writing in it. :laugh:

• Haha 4

Todays don't like is a totally flat battery on a portable air compressor.聽 I usually recharge it after use but may have forgotten last time.聽 Was probably 6 months ago, if not longer.聽 So maybe my fault, may not be.聽 I assume it's a lithium battery like a phone/laptop.

Had it plugged in for about 3 hours, charge progress light was flashing but never went solid even for one bar.聽 Unplugged and tried, lasted about 5 seconds before dying again.

Is there any way to revive a flat lithium battery or is that the end for this compressor?

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Is there any way to revive a flat lithium battery

The problem with lithium batteries is they do have a bit of a reputation of spontaneous combustion when you least expect it. 馃檮

In a workshop, you could try using a bench power supply and increasing the voltage until it started to take a charge. In the house I personally would advise against trying anything like that.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Is there any way to revive a flat lithium battery or is that the end for this compressor?

Now, that's weird. I have a BluTooth speaker for my phone when聽 I watch F1 on it. Though for reasons I won't go into, haven't used it for 2 x years. Trying it last week, on charging it, the LED remains orange even if left for several days, when new, it use to turn green after a couple of hours to show it's cooked.

I'm guessing now it really is 'cooked' LOL

battery technology is rubbish, if it had a 3 pin electrical plug, it would have fired straight up even if left alone & neglected for years!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

haven't used it for 2 x years.

So if you get a Tesla make sure you don't leave it with a flat battery for a couple of years聽馃ぃ

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

So if you get a Tesla make sure you don't leave it with a flat battery for a couple of years聽馃ぃ

That's a great point! I watch shows all the time of 'barn finds' being recommissioned, new plugs, new fuel, new battery etc. If you had a barn find EV after 30 years, do you just toss it in the bin?

13 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

do you just toss it in the bin?

Good Heavens No !!!

Two reasons: 1, the battery won't fit in the bin. 2, you have to responsibly recycle used batteries 馃ぃ

On a serious note, do you thing manufactures will still be making vehicle specific replacement batteries in even ten years time ?聽

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, unofix said:

On a serious note, do you thing manufactures will be making vehicle specific replacement batteries in even ten years time ?聽

mmm... well, they make 'car specific' batteries right now for ICE cars? 馃榿

• Like 1

Just now, StephenFord said:

mmm... well, they make 'car specific' batteries right now for ICE cars?

They do indeed. What i was meaning that in 10 years time will you be able to buy a new battery for say a 15 year old EV. Since it seems each EV has a custom made battery, it would require a huge range of replacement vehicle batteries. Perhaps a new industry will spring up doing full battery refurbishments of the original provided of course the case and hardware is in serviceable condition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Battery technology is rubbish, if it had a 3 pin electrical plug, it would have fired straight up even if left alone & neglected for years!

Having to anchor them to a wall socket reduces the convenience of portable devices though.聽

I've also had plenty of mains powered devices fail due after being left for a while due to damp etc.聽 Maybe electronics in general are rubbish...聽聽

That said, I've also had issues with mechanical parts failing over time as well.聽 Maybe we should just go back to living in caves and gathering berries. :laugh:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've also had plenty of mains powered devices fail due after being left for a while due to damp etc.聽 Maybe electronics in general are rubbish...

I have never ever had an electric device fail on me after being left for a while. My last fridge/freezer was over 35 years old before I had to get rid of it because I could not source a new seal for it. My washing machine, and tumble dryer were over 25 years old, disposed of because of lack of parts. My Dyson, is from 2002, and when plugged in, fires right up. I just have an extreme dislike for anything 'battery', as it's inherently a huge built in weakness...

I do accept that some gardening tools I have that are battery (hedge trimmer, lawn edger, chain saw) are exceptionally useful without an electric cord!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club