Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I wish I was 40 full stop.  Paying nearly £100 per month for car insurance is enough to spoil any benefits of being young.

Am paying 186 per month this year cos I cannot afford to pay it at a go

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

Christ!!  What age are you?

Christ!!  What age are you?

28 but started driving again just last year so lost my previous 3yrs ncbs.

7 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

28 but started driving again just last year so lost my previous 3yrs ncbs.

Even without NCB I would have thought you'd get lower prices than that.  Must be down to the car, obviously insurers don't see 20 year old Peugeots as so much of a risk!!

47 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I wish I was 40 full stop.  Paying nearly £100 per month for car insurance is enough to spoil any benefits of being young.

Ouch. Mine is £198 a year! 

• Like 1

ouch. mine is £160 a year! and no im not with saga insurance. lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iantt said:

My car is faster than yours though Ian so its worth paying the extra £38 a year! :wink:

Im not old enough for Saga yet!:smile:

• Like 1

I have to come the realisation that although expensive but if you keep thinking about insurance you will never buy any car you like. I just say to hell with it

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

I have to come the realisation that although expensive but if you keep thinking about insurance you will never buy any car you like. I just say to hell with it

True, cars in general are quite expensive to run and maintain, but to hell with all the pounds spent as each penny was worth it - you can't put a price on freedom! :cool:

EDIT: And to all you old farts showing off about how low your insurance is, I'd rather pay a couple more hundred a year and be young! :tongue:

• Like 2

True, cars in general are quite expensive to run and maintain, but to hell with all the pounds spent as each penny was worth it - you can't put a price on freedom! cool.png

Of course. You can buy a car that is cheap and takes you from A to B but you will not be able to turn round and look at it. Obviously am not saying go into debt and all but if you want something you like plan for it and get it. You only live once. A car and a house are the 2 most expensive investments you can do so do it well.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Incontro said:

And to all you old farts showing off about how low your insurance is, I'd rather pay a couple more hundred a year and be young! :tongue:

Im only 39! Not quite :wheelchair: yet!:laugh:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

Even without NCB I would have thought you'd get lower prices than that.  Must be down to the car, obviously insurers don't see 20 year old Peugeots as so much of a risk!!

Ken lives in London...  Prime location for cars getting torched, stolen or broken into. :tongue: 

I don't know why yours is still so high though, ~£1200 a year at 20 on an old 90bhp Peugeot estate...  I had a 9 year old Golf GT TDi130 (daft insurance group!) at 20 and paid half that!  Sadly mine has been rising for the last few years though, it was only £350 on a 6 year old Vectra back in 2013, but the Focus has always been more despite being older and slower, even more still when it was mapped, and looks like it'll be over £500 this year if I still have it by then. :ohmy:

Then again, I'll be 25 by then so maybe that'll help. :wheelchair: :sad:

I don't like how easily the Mk1 Focus exploded after a tap from a Leon in Sherlock last night! :laugh:  And then they suggested it came with vinyl seats?  In 2004?  Cloth or leather surely by then! :unsure: 

First time I'd seen Sherlock though...and must admit I did kinda like it lol.

On 29/12/2016 at 6:35 PM, TomsFocus said:

I don't like that the notifications on here have stopped saying the thread this week...just 'XXX has quoted you in a topic' but not which topic.  Anyone else or just me lol??

I'm getting that too...

2017-01-02.png

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ken lives in London...  Prime location for cars getting torched, stolen or broken into. :tongue: 

I don't know why yours is still so high though, ~£1200 a year at 20 on an old 90bhp Peugeot estate...  I had a 9 year old Golf GT TDi130 (daft insurance group!) at 20 and paid half that!  Sadly mine has been rising for the last few years though, it was only £350 on a 6 year old Vectra back in 2013, but the Focus has always been more despite being older and slower, even more still when it was mapped, and looks like it'll be over £500 this year if I still have it by then. :ohmy:

To be honest I thought it was actually pretty good, compared to other quotes I had received from other insurers.  The only way I'd get anything cheaper would be to switch to a Fiat Seicento... :sick:

P.S.  It's a saloon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmurray01 said:

P.S.  It's a saloon.

Oops, right you are....so it's even more 'elderly driver' than an estate! :biggrin:  Cars driven by young people (Saxo/106/Fiesta etc) were the worst to insure when I started, old people cars and especially diesels were usually cheaper.

My sister is your age though, she's got a 2012 C1 and pays about £500 a year.  She is on a multicar with her Mum though so probably more on her own.

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Oops, right you are....so it's even more 'elderly driver' than an estate! :biggrin:  Cars driven by young people (Saxo/106/Fiesta etc) were the worst to insure when I started, old people cars and especially diesels were usually cheaper.

My sister is your age though, she's got a 2012 C1 and pays about £500 a year.  She is on a multicar with her Mum though so probably more on her own.

You think?  I would have seen it as the other way around, but maybe you are right.

Insurance has risen by 20% in general I was told. Although the area I live in is safe and not well known for crime I just think it went up due to my driving style last year with the box. Which has changed this year.

On 01/01/2017 at 4:56 PM, jmurray01 said:

I don't like the thought that somebody born in 2000 could now legally drive a car...  Scary!! :shock:

Brandy was born in 2000 but she can't reach the pedals and she doesn't have opposable thumbs for gear changes.  Having said that, some researchers in New Zealand taught a dog to drive a highly modified car:ohmy:

On 01/01/2017 at 5:20 PM, WES180 said:

I dont like that im 40 this year, where did all those years go?:wacko:

Oh are you?   I thought you were one of the late 20-somethings on here :mellow:  Must have confused you with someone else:unsure:

• Like 1

On 01/01/2017 at 6:56 PM, Ken.K said:

:ohmy:

I pay that for a year, well that and 87p more

On 01/01/2017 at 7:38 PM, WES180 said:

Ouch. Mine is £198 a year! 

Interesting, there's only  £12 difference between  a 2006 and 2012 Focus, £2 a year

On 01/01/2017 at 7:46 PM, iantt said:

Oh, perhaps my £186.87 isn't the bargain I thought it was:sad:

Contrary their advertising Saga largely rips off it's customer base, who are falsely led into believing they cater with heavy discounting for the older driver. They are always one of the more expensive insurers, along with RIAS who also target the same market.  My late Dad was one of those who was paying £350 more than he needed to with a Saga policy in the late noneties

15 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I found at 25 the drop wasn't noticeable, 30 and then 35 had quite significant drops and then it remains largely static. 

However, once you hit 80 your premium increases faster than it went down from 17 to 25.  At 90, you will be paying more than a comparable recently qualified 17 year old.  From observing my mate's Stepdad, should you get to 92 and find yourself with 7 claims against you in one year; two for hitting the same neighbour's car whilst parking, a month apart: your annual premium will be around the £6000 mark.  :ohmy:

• Like 1

I didn't like paying 260 is for my insurance last year this year it will no doubt be more due to the non fault accident last year. 

I also don't like being an hour late leaving the yard tonight to go to Huntington, then stopping at trowel services to fuel up to find they had closed the motorway just after the devices due to a truck fire. So sat there for over an hour til they released us. So a shift that should have taken about 8 hrs ended up being a 10 hour shift through no fault of my own. My first trailer had been loaded ready to go but had to get it transhipped onto another trailer because I had to defect the first trailer.

Hope tonight is a better night lol 

I also don't like my car making that horrible knocking sound when I went to work last night. Although after the car had warmed up it went away again. And this morning nothing back to normal, gonna be fun getting a garage to diagnose it if it keeps changing its mind. 

6 hours ago, GMX said:

Brandy was born in 2000 but she can't reach the pedals and she doesn't have opposable thumbs for gear changes.  Having said that, some researchers in New Zealand taught a dog to drive a highly modified car:ohmy:

I dare say that a well trained dog may prove to be a better driver than a lot of the humans on the roads today... 

6 hours ago, GMX said:

Interesting, there's only  £12 difference between  a 2006 and 2012 Focus, £2 a year

Oh, perhaps my £186.87 isn't the bargain I thought it was:sad:

My car is a Focus Zetec S 1.6 Ecoboost 182PS, its probably more down to postcodes as you would expect a difference of more than £12 just on car models.

This year has completely pushed my plan for any car change till later in the year rather than mid and has also ruled out a few cars. Like an RS. Will start looking at quotes for an ST and compare with a 2.5d

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club