Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

48 minutes ago, carlddone said:

The problem is there is no paint that is direct to rust and VHT.

There's a risk of comments like that being taken at face value and assumed as fact but a cursory search reveals at least two paints (Hammerite High Heat and Rust-Oleum Heat Resistant) that explicitly tick both boxes. One can only assume there are many more given that the two properties are evidently not mutually exclusive requirements.

got some VHT paint last night, after checking pipes few days ago and found them starting to rust, whats the best prep for the pipes, i did see it somewhere on here.28081168_2284335874925756_1296674373_o.thumb.jpg.b6f21e4d4357274f73c22c750a7ca901.jpg28124807_2284335798259097_1479202069_o.thumb.jpg.c421ba46dc19232f3e09327b5136ed58.jpg

My apologies on the paint front. From earlier posts it did seem as though paints were either or. It’s good to know that there is a product that can do both. 

in answer to above - take it to Ford  to see what they will do. Otherwise remove rust completely, apply Kurust, then a heat resistant paint.

• Like 3

For mine I'm not worried about the paint flaking off as we were talking about a few pin head sized dots on the pipe - nothing anywhere near as bad as some of the other pics posted in this thread where it would definitely need to be treated first. Painting mine was more for prevention rather than cure.

But I'll keep an eye on it

Just checked my 2015 plate, it's not looking great.

What would your guys opinion be? Still treatable or best off bringing it to Ford's and seeing what they have to say?

Image.png

Everyone should go to ford first I reckon, then keep this thread updated as a what ford are going to do

Absolutely amazed by how many people have had the same issue as i originally did.

It's a design flaw so will likely affect a whole lot more. 

@MJNewton

I'll be painting my pipes with the VHT paint from Halfords next weekend, did you use a primer before painting yours? Anything else other than clean the pipes?

Thanks.

No, just straight on (after giving them a rub down with some wet and dry). The paint adheres well, and I'd recommend doing a couple of coats (leave the first to dry) just to ensure you've got good coverage as it can be difficult to see round the backs of the pipes. 

• Like 1

At last. My nice new shiny Turbo. Case now closed. Done under 'Goodwill' from CRC. It seems to be coated with a thin layer of resin. Hope it lasts.

New Turbo.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, carlddone said:

At last. My nice new shiny Turbo. Case now closed. Done under 'Goodwill' from CRC. It seems to be coated with a thin layer of resin. Hope it lasts.

Ah, congratulations on getting the case sorted! It seemed like it was going to be a hard fight! 

2 hours ago, carlddone said:

Hahah Good work.  What changed their mind as they seemed adamant that they wouldn't be doing anything ?

I opened a case with Resolver and used the Pinned post from the Facebook group for the Ecoboost engine failures. There was a lot of posts in Danish from Ford and Danish motorists about the issue which helped a lot.

On 2/18/2018 at 4:50 PM, MJNewton said:

No, just straight on (after giving them a rub down with some wet and dry). The paint adheres well, and I'd recommend doing a couple of coats (leave the first to dry) just to ensure you've got good coverage as it can be difficult to see round the backs of the pipes. 

What grade wet and dry do I need and don't laugh as I'm a complete dork with diy do I wet the wet and dry 🤔

Here's my pipes just starting to rust on 2013 plate.

IMG_20180223_083025.jpg

To be honest it'll have been whatever I had to hand as I seem to have bits of it hanging around everywhere. Probably around the 100-300 grade so just 'reasonably course' on the subjectivometer!

Yours will hardly need any rubbing at all so if you've got any wire wool that'll likely suffice. The purpose is just to remove anything that could mean the paint fails to make a gas tight seal or be loose enough to cause the paint to lift and the corrosion to then continue.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

To be honest it'll have been whatever I had to hand as I seem to have bits of it hanging around everywhere. Probably around the 100-300 grade so just 'reasonably course' on the subjectivometer!

Yours will hardly need any rubbing at all so if you've got any wire wool that'll likely suffice. The purpose is just to remove anything that could mean the paint fails to make a gas tight seal or be loose enough to cause the paint to lift and the corrosion to then continue.

Loads of wire wool in the shed I'll use that thanks 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Been taking some pics of the pipes on my Mk8 140 for future reference in case of problems! Thought I'd seen something about changes on the latest cars  but as far as I can see they are exactly the same design/material as previously. DSC_0034.thumb.JPG.8b758b5abfe390c385530768eaedfceb.JPG

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Been taking some pics of the pipes on my Mk8 140 for future reference in case of problems! Thought I'd seen something about changes on the latest cars  but as far as I can see they are exactly the same design/material as previously. DSC_0034.thumb.JPG.8b758b5abfe390c385530768eaedfceb.JPG

This is interesting :D In your car the upper hose going into the turbo is heat shielded, in my car the lower hose leaving the turbo is heat shielded O___o Mine is Fiesta late 2014 model, 125bhp Ecoboost.

2 hours ago, Jeipii said:

This is interesting :D In your car the upper hose going into the turbo is heat shielded, in my car the lower hose leaving the turbo is heat shielded O___o Mine is Fiesta late 2014 model, 125bhp Ecoboost.

Don’t know if it’s just the picture but the hoses look a different shade to mine. Mine are very much silver but yours seem to have s bronze hue. New alloy mix perhaps?

13 hours ago, carlddone said:

Don’t know if it’s just the picture but the hoses look a different shade to mine. Mine are very much silver but yours seem to have s bronze hue. New alloy mix perhaps?

The picture is not from my car. It's from the previous posters car. My turbo pipes are also silver, but I think it might just be the camera that made those look like brownish. It's just weird that in my car the lower hose has the heatshield wrapped around and not the upper hose. I wonder why Ford changed this. Maybe the poster of the picture could confirm us how those turbo pipes really look ? :)

5 hours ago, Jeipii said:

Maybe the poster of the picture could confirm us how those turbo pipes really look ? :)

Yes,  must be my cheapie phone. The pipes are silver, look exactly the same colour as those in my mate's 13 plate Focus (which has not rusted) and 65 plate Fiesta (which has!).

Hi, This is apparently the layout of the current Ecoboost engine. Lot of changes to cooling system apart from the header tank the turbo hoses have opposite heat shielding and an additional heat shield over the exhaust. I wonder if these could be incorporated onto our older ecoboost engines? 

Ecoboost engine.png

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club